During the first year, the project consortium has focused its efforts on reviewing the current practices in and regulation on biogas production. Due to the water protection viewpoint of the project, the areas of particular interest have included the management of nutrient-rich digestates, the treatment of reject waters, and the recycling of nutrients.
After the holiday season, the project partners will kick off several development activities and invite stakeholders to participate. These include the development plans for sustainable biogas production as well as the nutrient management plans for the project’s case areas (Southwest Finland, Åland and Zemgale), the development of quality systems for recycled fertilizers in Finland and Latvia, and exploring the use of sewage sludge-based digestates.
For more information, please contact
- Regional nutrient management plan for Southwest Finland: Centre for Economic Development, Transport and the Environment for Southwest Finland
- Regional nutrient management plan for Åland: John Nurminen Foundation
- Regional nutrient management plan for Zemgale: Latvian State Environmental Services
- Quality assurance scheme for Finland: Finnish Biocycle and Biogas Association
- Quality assurance scheme for Latvia: Latvian Biogas Association
- Future use of sewage sludge-based digestates: John Nurminen Foundation